Sketch of the Reading Room
The Reading Room is a Victorian building given
to the village by Charles Fairbrother in 1887. This is commemorated
by an inscription on the top right of the building.
Originally it was a place where men could go as an alternative to
the pub and they were provided with newspapers and books. It was
not until the time of the First World War (1914 - 1918) that women
began to use it.
Today it has the function of a village hall, being the place where
the Parish Council meets and
most of the village activities
Click here for more on the history
of the Reading Room